Have a Healthy Holiday: 13 Anti-Inflammatory Foods to Incorporate into Your Festivities
Our favourite time of year is here...Summer! We hope you are all readily enjoying the sunshine, staying safe and eating well.
We know many of our customers suffer from arthritis and other autoimmune diseases and something that almost all of our awesome people have in common is inflammation.
With the holidays upon us, it's the season that your work friends, neighbours, aunties, cousins...basically, everyone, are passing out delicious and delectable treats to throw your inflammation through a loop.
But never fear, there are some awesome holiday favourites that taste amazing and help fight inflammation.
Here is a list of some anti-inflammatory foods you can incorporate into your holiday feasting to help combat those naughty foods sending inflammation into hyperdrive.
Delicious anti-inflammatory foods:
- Ginger - A quick way to get this into your diet without changing too much is to make some Ginger Tea at home. Just chop up some fresh ginger, pop it into a mesh tea ball diffuser, pour hot water over the top, add a bit of honey and voila you have yourself an anti-inflammatory tea!
- Whole grains - Seek out the brown rice at the family dinner, someone always brings some. You might be the only one eating it so they'll most likely appreciate the love.
- Broccoli - One of our favourites and so easy to prepare from steaming, to stir fry. If you aren't a fan of Brocolli try our anti-inflammatory Broc Salad Recipe.
- Blueberries - Throw some extra Blueberries on your Pav for dessert.
- Dark chocolate - Well...this one should be easy. It's everywhere in the holiday season but remember the less processed and least amount of sugar the better!
- Chia seeds - Since these little guys have no flavour you can add them to just about anything for that extra hit of anti-inflammatory. We love adding them to smoothies, coconut ice cream, cereal, a peanut butter sandwich.
- Beets - This one should be easy for most of us Aussies, it's everywhere! Just don't let it touch your new white summer outfit.
- Apples - Did someone say Apple Pie? Obviously keep the sugar to a minimum as that will flare your inflammation but there are a lot of low or no sugar recipes out there for good old pie.
- Tomatoes - Chop up your favourite variety of tomato and add them fresh to salads or just as a fresh salsa style to top any hot dish.
- Spinach - Add frozen to smoothies, be careful to buy organic of Spinach as it can be highly sprayed with chemicals. Thankfully Woolworths has an organic frozen spinach option for a very low price.
- Olive oil - This one is such a hero because you can sprinkle it on top of most savoury dishes, just make sure to have it raw as that is when it is at it's most beneficial.
- Turmeric - Go ahead and give one of those turmeric lattes a try at your local cafe. You know you've always wanted to.
- Nuts - Keep a bowl of your favourite nut around the house during the holidays to get an extra boost. And no Snickers bars don't count.
Most importantly enjoy yourself and have fun! We think laughter really is the best medicine. Stay safe and Happy Holidays from all of us here at BioMagnetic Sport.
Disclaimer: The authors of this blog are not medical professionals, we, like most of our readers, are average people trying to share and support others in making healthier choices. We do our research to ensure all information is correct and recent however, we are human, so please do not take our opinions and information as medical or nutritional advice. Always seek your doctor's advice before making changes to your lifestyle.